Arrival of Ikemefuna to Umuofia

I heard the news of killing of a daughter of Umuofia in Mbaino. I am curious about the consequences of the killing case that may bring to our village. One day, a few men came to my house and had a conversation with my father in low tones. I wonder why they speak in such low tones. I feel scared and it seems like something bad is going to happen. In the end of the conversation, I had been taken out and handed over to a stranger. I could not understand what was happening to me or what I had done. I did not realize that my father had taken a hand in the killing a daughter of Umuofia. My mother had wept bitterly but I am too surprised to weep.
      
I had travelled a long, long way from home. I feel tired and exhausted. On the way to the destination, I wonder why the stranger also brought another girl who I did not know her identity. I wanted to speak to her but I did not dare to do so. After we reached Umuofia, the stranger handed over the girl to an unknown old man.  After that, I never see her again.  
        
The stranger brought me to the elders of Umuofia. The elders had decided that I should be in Okonkwo’s care for a while. So, Okonkwo brought me home. He called his senior wife and handed me over to her. His wife asked him how long I will be staying with them. Suddenly, Okonkwo thundered and stammered. He ordered his wife to do what she had been told. At that moment, I was scared by Okonkwo’s response towards his own wife. Then, without further questioning, she took me into her hut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment