The next day, the men returned with a pot of wine and fully dressed as if they are going to visit the neighbouring village. I feel shocked at the moment. I wondered whether I am worthy enough for such a grand crowd to send me back to my home.
At first, I feel uneasy but soon I was not afraid. This is because Okonkwo walked behind me. I feel safe and secured with his presence. I could hardly imagine that Okonkwo was not my real father. I had never been fond of my real father and I feel that I had become very distant with him after three years away from home. I also thought of my three-year-old sister who is now six years old. I doubt whether I can still recognize her. I thought that my mother would weep for joy and thanked Okonkwo for taking care of me and bringing me home. I feel excited and I was eager to tell her about Nwoye and his mother and also everything about my life in Umuofia.
Suddenly, one of the men cleared his throat. I feel weird so I looked back. But the men scolded and threaten me not to look back. I feel scared with the words he said. I feel disappointed with Okonkwo. Instead of standing up for me, he withdrew to the rear. I feel more afraid to look back. Suddenly, I accidentally broke the pot. I am too nervous and scared. When I looked back, I saw a man was raising a machete. I was so scared that I screamed for Okonkwo’s help. But Okonkwo did not do so. Instead of rescuing me, he killed me by using his machete. At the final moment, I feel heartbroken with his action as I treated him as my real father. In the end, I still do not understand his purpose of killing me without any hesitation.
No comments:
Post a Comment